Generals Make it 4 in a Row

By Chris Mantel

A depleted Generals lineup made their first visit of the season to the Hershey Centre on Friday as they took on the Mississauga Steelheads in front of a crowd of 2,714. Despite only dressing only 16 skaters, the Generals came out on top with a 4-3 victory over Mississauga with a true team effort. Daniel Altshuller was a game-saver, stopping 13 of 14 shots in the third period to pick up his 20th win of the season. Recently signed draft pick Joe Manchurek, who was playing in his first game of the season, scored 2 points with one of them being the game-winning goal.

The first period was a physical affair with both teams trying to shake off the cobwebs from the holiday break. Daniel Altshuller highlighted the first 10 minutes of the period with spectacular goaltending, as he frustrated the Steelheads shooters into penalty troubles.

Oshawa opened the scoring 10:40 into the period, when Scott Sabourin slid the puck five-hole on a bad angle past Spencer Martin, giving the Generals a 1-0 lead. Scott Laughton followed suit shortly after, ending Martin’s night early with a quick shot from the slot. Tyson Teichmann replaced Martin and took over for the rest of the game.

The Generals controlled the first half of the second period, getting big goals from Brian Hughes and rookie Joe Manchurek. The goals were picked up at 4:35 and 10:55 of the period. Shortly after though, the game began to shift in the Steelheads favour. Mississauga scored two quick goals to get them back into the game. Brett Foy got them on the board, snapping a shot past a scrambling Altshuller to make the score 4-1 at 11:39 while Mississauga’s leading scorer Riley Brace cut the lead to 2 as he slid a rebound under Altshuller, giving him his 11th of the season a minute later.

With all the momentum going the Steelheads way into the third, Spenser Cobbold brought the Steelheads within one just 1:40 into the third, as he picked up a rebound in the slot after Altshuller made the initial pad save. After the goal, the Generals picked up their play, starting with their goaltender as he made several key saves to keep the lead at one.

With just over three minutes left in the game, the Generals took two Delay of game penalties, putting them at a 5 on 3 disadvantage. Altshuller came through, standing on his head as he made stops on Steelheads’ sniper Dylan Smoskowitz before the puck was cleared down the ice ensuring the Generals victory.

The Steelheads outshot the Generals 34-22.

Scott Laughton picked up second star of the game for his 2 point performance.

The Generals next game is when they return home to the General Motors Centre on December 30th, as they take on the Owen Sound Attack. Puck drop is at 6:05pm.

More News
Oshawa Generals Pucks 4 United Way Jersey Auction
8 hours ago
Oct. 23/16 - GUE (4) - OSH (5) OT
8 hours ago
23 hours ago
2 days ago
Oct. 21/16 - SAR (2) - OSH (6)
2 days ago
3 days ago