Comeback Not in the Cards for Generals in Kingston

By Chris Mantel

The Generals lost the lead in the first and never reclaimed it on route to a 6-3 loss to the Kingston Frontenacs before a crowd of 2,896 at the K-Rock Centre. The Generals power play was a bright spot, going 3 for 5 on the man-advantage. Daniel Altshuller was given the start for Oshawa, putting up a commendable effort, but ultimately picking up the loss. Kenny Appleby was called on later in the game and played spectacularly, making several big time saves.  

A quick first period left the Generals down by a score of 2-1. The Frontenacs opened the scoring at 10:26, with a Ryan Kujawinski short-handed goal. Skating down the left wing side, the draft eligible winger snapped a wrist shot from the circle that beat Altshuller over his shoulder, giving Kingston the 1-0 lead.

On the same Generals power play, a shot from the point left a rebound for Brian Hughes who was sitting just outside the crease. Hughes, who had had a goal denied due to a high-stick earlier in the period, made no mistake this time, sliding the puck by goaltender Mike Morrison to tie the game at 1-1. A response goal came from the Frontenacs at 15:34 when Marc Beckstead shot glove side on Altshuller, eluding the Oshawa netminder and putting the Frontenacs back in front.

Kingston took over the second period, forcing the Generals into penalty trouble. The Frontenacs added to their lead with goals by Samuel Schutt, who was Johnny-On-the-Spot, and Cody Alcock, who hammered a shot from the point past Altshuller for a power play goal.

After 40 minutes the Generals were behind 4-1.

A third period goal from Henri Ikonen put an end to Altshuller’s night at 4:13 of the third period, with Kenny Appleby coming in for relief. Appleby was impressive to say the least, stopping all 12 shots he faced.

The Generals were given a chance to get back into the game with a 5 on 3 advantage. They took full advantage as Scott Laughton and Cole Cassels both picked up goals bringing the Frontenacs lead to 5-3. The momentum was short-lived however as Luke Hietkamp scored an empty-netter, sealing Kingston’s victory.

The Frontenacs outshot the Generals 35-30.

The Generals next game is on Jan 9th as they make their way to Ottawa to take on the 67’s. They return home to the General Motors Centre as they host the Peterborough Petes Friday, January 11th. Puck drop is at 7:35pm.

More News
Cirelli and Vande Sompel to Represent the OHL in CIBC Canada/ Russia Super Series
1 day ago
Oshawa Generals Pucks 4 United Way Jersey Auction
2 days ago
Oct. 23/16 - GUE (4) - OSH (5) OT
2 days ago
3 days ago
3 days ago
Oct. 21/16 - SAR (2) - OSH (6)
4 days ago